Monday, August 15, 2011

Mrs. United States National Pageant 2011!!

     I am home from the National Mrs. United States Pageant!!  The 2011 pageant was held at the Las Vegas Hilton from July 31-August 5.  I must say...this was a once-in-a-lifetime event. 
     I left my home on July 31st at 5:00 am.  My husband, John, drove me to the airport in Manchester, NH.  I flew Southwest Airlines, on a direct 5 hour and 45 min. flight.  I landed in Las Vegas at 10:30 am (we arrived a bit early).  I brought 3 suitcases, 1 carry-on suitcase, my purse and a garment bag with my gown.  I had made plans to meet Heidi (Mrs. DC US) at baggage claim.  I was so happy to have someone to ride to the hotel with :)
     We gathered all of our bags (and a photo) and headed towards the taxi line...yes line.  We circled around in very hot weather for what seemed like a lifetime.  The taxi took us straight to the Hilton.  At this point I was about to meet my roomie for the week (Mrs. Idaho US, Blythe Johnston).  God was certainly looking over me when Blythe decided to ask me to room with her!!  Such a fantastic woman and queen.  We had some time to go to our room, unpack, shower and get ready for registration.  This is the first group of queens that I met (they were all kind, lovely woman).
     After registration we went back to our room and got ready for our orientation dinner.  This was the first time that all 54 deligates were together.  Dinner was delicious, I had salmon and salad :) After dinner, Blythe and I got ready for bed (it was only 9:00 pm, but seemed like midnight to me). 
     On Monday morning we went to breakfast for 7:00, then met in the Ballroom for orientation and to exchange our deligate gifts.
     We met our choreographer, Natalie and had practice until 1:00.  Lunch was from 1-2, which I was ready for...my belly thought it was 4!!  We had practice after lunch until 3:30.  Then we all went to change and get ready for our night on the town.  We went to Luxor to see the show, "Menopause", very funny.  Here is a picture with my sister queen, Mrs. MA US, Courtney :)
This photo is with the director of the National Pageant
     Here are a couple with various state queens, before getting on the bus...
                                                                             
                                                         Here is one of me at the Luxor
     Tuesday morning was the swimsuit photo shoot.  The group photo took place at the fountain at 8:30.  Then I changed, ate breakfast and went to the ballroom for practice from 9:30-12, lunch from 12-1 then practice from 1-3:30.  Here is a photo from rehearsals.
     After the second rehearsal, we all went to prepare for interview.  I was in the third group for interview and mine took place at 8:40 pm.  I went to the interview with Mrs. Missouri, Carrie (she was top 12 in the America system the year before and made top 12 here...amazing!!)  I had a fab interview...the judges were great, I was able to speak about my platform of Apraxia, and I did not say, "like or um"...success :)
   Wednesday, we had breakfast, rehearsal, lunch, rehearsal, then left to get ready for...prelims.  Prelims were so exciting.  This was my first national pageant and I felt ready to rock the stage :)  I did well.  Opening number went great, I used my sarong correctly during swimsuit and I did not trip on my dress during evening gown. 
     Thursday, was breakfast, rehearsal, lunch, rehearsal, then...Finals!!  I felt very content going into finals.  I knew that I had done better than at my state pageant and that I had grown as a woman, my confidence has definately felt a bit of a boost.  I did not make top 12 but I truely was not upset.  I let myself be disappointed for a second, then I helped my friend Mrs. New Jersey get ready, because she did make top 12 :)  Mrs. Florida won Mrs. United States 2012.  After Shannon was crowned, my director, Irene came on stage and took great pictures of me with my new friends.  We then went to the "after party".
     My mom, Irene, and I all decided to get dessert...just what the doctor ordered...
     Well...I know this was a long blog...but there it was, my week at Nationals!!  My mom and I explored Vegas on Friday, I will do another post for those!!                                                                                                                                                            
                                                                            
                                                                              
                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                                         
                                                                                
                                                                               
                                                                          

1 comment:

  1. Sorry...just realized I wrote that Shannon won Mrs. US 2012...should be 2011 ;)

    ReplyDelete